Earn while you learn | Get In Gear
Free skilled trades exploration program with paid training and paid work placements!
career and trades exploration program helps you find the path that is right for you, and you will be paid minimum wage during your training period. The first 10 weeks are paid in class/shop training include hands on-training in three skilled trades: construction, manufacturing, and electrical
developing employability skills (job search skills and aptitude assessments). Upon successful completion of the in-class training, we will work with you towards securing a 10-week paid work placement with a local employer.
- Are you a Canadian Citizen or a Permanent Resident?
- Are you between 18 and 29 years old?
- Are you interested in exploring the following trades: Manufacturing, Construction or Electrical?
If you answered “Yes” to all those questions, then this program might be for you.
- 10 weeks of employment and skills training
- Full-time Monday to Friday, from 8:30AM to 3:00PM
- Training takes place at our skilled trades facility in Burlington
- 10 weeks of work placement
This program is for you if you
- Are between 18 - 29 years old
- Like to work with your hands
- Want to explore or learn more about careers in trades
- Want to improve or gain employability skills to get a job and keep it
- Are a hands-on learner (and know that a desk job is not for you)
- Want to ‘try a trade’ as a way to determine your future career path
- Are ready to commit to employment after in-class training has been completed
- Introduction to tools and techniques for construction, electrical and machining trades
- Develop basic skills through practical projects
- Trades Math
- Shop Safety
- First Aid Certification
- WHMIS Awareness
- Workplace Health and Safety
- Apprenticeship System Information
- Employment Standard’s Act
- Career Exploration & Job Searching Skills
We are now accepting applications for October 2023
Please note that applying does NOT guarantee the acceptance in the program. Limited spaces available.
Frequently Asked Questions
Will the program be delivered online or in person?
At this time, the program is scheduled to be in person, with the occasional online period. However, in order to maintain safety of our participants throughout the pandemic, we may adjust the program accordingly.
What is the address of the training facility?
During the program, we may be using 2 different facilities:
Skilled Trades Site: 3335 North Service Rd, Burlington ON
Head Office Site: 3350 South Service Rd, Burlington ON
Is the training facility bus accessible?
Both training facilities are bus accessible, however, please make sure to check but schedules ahead of time.
Is there parking available at the training facility?
There is parking available at both locations.
Skilled Trades Site – Parking is available at the front of the building
Head Office Site – Parking available down the ramp, at the back of the building.
Does the program have a lot of homework?
The GIG Program does not assign any after school homework. Students will get time during program hours to complete any tests/assignments for the different workshops.
How does Centre for Skills help with my job search?
Participants will receive assistance to create a career action plan and connect them to employers. Participants will also have access to a variety of workshops to help them prepare to job search and work in the industry.
Can I be signed on as an apprentice after the program?
Participants receive sufficient skills to begin an entry-level position in either machining, electrical, or construction, with a company that offers the opportunity for further growth. The goal of the program is to assist participants in finding employment in the trades. Many participants have gone on to completing pre-apprenticeship programs in their trade of choice and/or secure employment, as a path towards apprenticeship.
What does the schedule look like?
The GIG program will include full days in shop and full days in employability skills. A typical week will include a combination of employability skills and in-shop trade specific training. Participants will rotate through the three different trades, fully finishing one trade before moving on to the next.
What will I have to buy vs. what is provided?
As a successful applicant into the program, you will not need to make any personal financial investments. We provide personal protective equipment and tools for use in program, and all participants receive a voucher to purchase safety boots and safety glasses.
Need more information?
Review our frequently asked questions
. For more information contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
or 905.333.3499 x 315.